Saturday, April 4, 2009

Where do I start??!!

So...

This seems like an interesting place to start. Suffice it to say that I have gathered quite a few friends, penpals, emailers, and compatriots along this seaway of life and i would like to have a place to wax poetic for all to enjoy...or help you hurl up that bad cheeseburger you just had for lunch!!


Firstly - I'd like to say "Thank You" to my sister Jennifer, who planted the seeds of a "blog" in my mind - as her blog is very well written and entertaining (http://letshaveacocktail.blogspot.com/) so... I stole her idea to do this as well. Please stop and read Jen's page...I PROMISE you will not be disappointed as she has a unique way of blending opinion with humor in only the way she can...now, on to my new stuff!!


As you all know (or most of you who have known me longer than five minutes!!) realize that I can't seem to stay anywhere longer than about 8 minutes flat. Inexplicable - even to me...call it Adult Onset A.D.D. or whatever. BUT the cool part about my job is I don't have to worry about that too much as I am kept nearly on the constant "go" driven by my job alone. Well, what most of you don't know is right now I am on yet another NOAA ship and we are currently about three (yup, count 'em THREE!!) miles off the coast of Cozumel (it's actually an island!) Mexico. I am here filling in a senior deck officer postition aboard the ship I am supposed to be assigned to come JULY of this year. I have been derelect on the email traffic on this last trip because - honestly - there isn't any real information to give anyone about this ship and it's mission. Kind of a letdown isn't it?? Tell ME about it!! !!


On the first leg we at least got to see some really cool sea turtles out frolicking about in the beautiful deep blue water of the eastern Gulf of mexico. This leg...nothing...and I do mean exactly that NOTHING!! We have seen ZIP...NADA...ZILTCH!! I figured we might find a lost whale or an inquisitive dolphin or two...but NO....NOOOOOTHING!! We are out plankton-wrangling in the NE Caribbean Sea at this moment...hey anybody know what to do with a plankton AFTER you wrangle it?? Me either!! Not so easy to cook and clean either...kinda small with not much meat to be had...lots of work and still walk away hungry!!


The good news: I have ben permanently promoted to Chief Mate here in our fine organization...a position I will serve to my fullest (hopefully more in Hawaii than G-O-M but that has yet to be seen!) I am excited for the new challenges of the new boat...but I am REALLY missing home (not so much rainy, snowy Seattle) but home like Mom's house, Jeff and Eileens house, the girls, Bobby baby and Di...you get the picture!! Oh let's not leave out the "Atlanta Connection" with John, Jen, and young Jedi Master Luke!! That kid is adorable!! I am really missing my Cape Codder friends and familys as well...as isolated as I felt at times on the Cape...I sure made some FANTASTIC friends while I was there. And the Collum Cile'ers got to play Hard Rock, Boston for St Pattie's Day (yes, I am jealous!! LOVE the pics, Carol!) And I have been melancholically reminiscent of my time on ALBATROSS with Steve, Jonathan, Peter, Chris, and Chad...all stallions and top-shelf choices by anyones standard. So, continuing on that thought...


Recently I was involved in a "discussion" about people...what makes people tick as individuals, part of a group, part of a family - what have you. And the comment was made that every person is a sum of their experiences - good or bad. I have given that about a ton of thought and, to a certain point, I think that statement is true, but then again, I don't think I agree. I think everyone is a sum of the RELATIONSHIPS they have (or in some cases DO NOT have) with other people...in other words I think you are more clearly defined by the friends you have and what those friends might have to say about you - good or bad - if you were on the other side of the world (or in the gulf of mex - hahaha), or standing in the same room with them. That being said - I don't ever want any of my friends to ever have a SINGLE doubt as to where they stand with me...ever!! If you have recieved this link to this blog then go take a look in the mirror because YOU are who I'm talking about!! I don't ever want to take any of you for granted or inconsequential as I remember some really great times with each and every one of you!! Thank you for your friendship(s)! Thank you each for investing time in my life. I am truly greatful and blessed to know all of you!!

Welcome to my new blog page...please leave commentary and ENJOY!!


Blessings to Everyone - much Love!!


Donn

1 comment:

  1. Hey you "OLD" sea-dog--you sorry piece of whale blubber--you cod smokin'--tuna lovin'--eco-terroist--how are you--miss you alot. Just to let you know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. Much love and blessings--R.J.Friske 9a615

    ReplyDelete